How in the world can they possibly be ending this show?! There’s so much more to do. That’s what I keep telling myself. I won’t lie, I don’t want these cats to go out gracefully, I want them to keep doing shows until the wheels come off.
Why can’t we just watch Michael and Kenard rise up as rival drug lords? Why not let Namond Brice become an influential police captain who works to bring his old running crew down? What about Avon?
Will he come back and take things over? There’s the issue of Brother Mouzone, too. I mean, there are just so many loose ends. So many issues. Yes, the motto of the show is “The Game is the Game,” meaning you can’t reform, you can’t improve and you can’t change the Game. After all, the Game, be it the Police, The Street, The Docks, Politics, The School System or the Press, is motivated by individuals that seek short-term self interest rather than the long-term collective goals they are supposedly working towards. Right, you can’t change the Game and you can’t change the show, so do this thing like Law and Order or CSI and franchise these joints to other cities.
Well, at least I can pay homage for my boy Marlo and his “My name is my name” perspective on life which I happen to share.
Dude, ever since I saw Marlo run that great smack to that one little underling up by the pigeon coop, I knew he was great. It’s not that he was telling him about how to maintain the birds (incidentally, those of you that raise Pigeons, what the hell is up with that?), it’s the way he said it.
“You got the elders lookin after the squabs, takin’ care of the youngins..(pause and crazy look in the eye) I like that”
It’s just the way Jaime Hector looked at the dude as in “if I didn’t like it, it could quite possibly cost you your life.”
Marlo has been impressive ever since. And though I’d still have to give an edge to Avon Barksdale as my all-time favorite character on The Wire, there’s just something about Marlo that deserves special attention. Could the casting directors have picked a better actor to play that character? Marlo is icy, but Jamie Hector’s portrayal of him is just eerie. Look at how he handles business on this whole Omar talking shit issue:
I mean, how many things has this cat done? How many people has he killed? Look at how he handled that clown Big Face Andre:
I like how he jacked homey for his wild ring. “What’s the real value, I aint much for sentiment.” Oh yeah, Marlo is a bad mufucka..
And these are just off my dome, no particular order and certainly not chronological:
1. Shot ole girl, Devonne I think her name was who tried to set him up by letting him hit in that car, in both breasts and once in the mouth piece…uhh, she’s dead.
2. Took that cat Big Face Andre’s ring after letting him go on and on about Delta Airlines, terrorism, Omar and other superfluous nonsense.
3. Allowed everyone to believe he killed Stringer Bell, even though he didn’t because he wanted to “wear the crown” and wanted his “name to ring out.”
4. Hit that one cat with the CLASSIC “One Way” speech, then had him killed…he’s dead.
5. Hit Michael with that “Hey boy, what, you too good for my money? Then eyeballed him.” That was doubly good because it showed how much of a confident ass Marlo was, which I love by the way, and how strong young Mike was too.
6. Rolled up on Boodie and told him to either work for him or “step off”…clearly Boodie choose to work for him…then he had Boodie killed too. Gotta go, gotta go!! He’s dead.
7. Let Stringer run his mouth about how the days of the “gangster sh*t” were over and now it’s about amassing wealth…meanwhile, all Marlo wanted was pure power as he looked at Stringer like a lion looks at a rabbit.
8. Sent that one cat packing with that “split is 60/40” and then “then pay your people less or short yourself”…..then hit Chris with that “Yeah, he showed no heart” as if that dude was ready to be up in a vacant with the rest of those fools who dared cross Marlo.
9. Had prop Joe killed after taking all his knowledge and hitting Joe with that “I was never made to play the son” line, then hit him with that ill, “close you eyes Joe, breath in..it won’t hurt.” Bloaw..
Man, I’m rambling because there are just too many things this cat did to mention. So let me just run another few videos about Marlo. Enjoy.
What about how he’s schooled Michael, Marlo 2.0?
Marlo is the greatest..
– Lake Stanfield (Marlo’s cousin on his step sister’s side)